opinions on all things in black/urban/hip-hop/[other euphemism for black] culture

Sunday, May 4, 2008

Come Uppance: Jazmine Sullivan

While browsing Youtube, I stumbled upon this striking vocalist who, at the tender age of 11, had the notorious Apollo Theatre audience catching the Holy Ghost with her rendition of "Accept What God Allows" (her vocals do more than make up for the 90s fashion faux pas).


Hailing from that city where brothers show each other love, Ms. Jazmine Sullivan has gained a sizable audience in her hometown with her chocolate colored contralto neo-soul, a blend of soul, jazz, and hip-hop that could be dubbed the new "Philly Sound" thanks to Philly predecessors like Bilal (when is his new joint gonna drop, btw), Musiq Soulchild, and Jill Scott.

Take a track like "Braid Your Hair", (not to be confused with Mario's "Braid My Hair" still a hot one, I'll guiltily admit), an ode to the bond experienced between a woman and man during the act. Combing and greasing has never sounded more sacred. "I can feel you/ I can feel you everywhere/ Can you feel me when I braid your hair? When I braid your hair it's such a great experience/ I try to take such care and make you look like a prince"



And take her rendition of the jazz standard "Round Midnight" as she invokes gospel artist Kim Burrell, and jazz vocalist Cassandra Wilson with her melisma filled, husky version of Monk's classic.


Definitely an artist on the come up!

No comments: